So far, my decision to transfer my Edublogs site into WordPress.com is proving to be a good one. There are subtle differences between the two services, even though they both use the WordPress software. This weekend I’ve learned 2 important things: disable automatically generated related posts links and activate Turbo mode.
Disable Automatically Generated Links to Related Posts
As I was composing and previewing my previous post on Flickr, I noticed some links to “possibly related posts (automatically generated)” at the bottom of my article. I do not want these generated links to articles outside of my blog. Searching help, I quickly found the solution.
- Click Design.
- Choose Extras.
- Check the box for “Hide related links on this blog, which means this blog won’t show up on other blogs or get traffic that way.”
- I would also recommend unchecking the “Enable Snap Shots on this blog option.” Personally I find this feature annoying. When your visitors hover their cursors over a link in a post, a thumbnail snapshot of the site will be displayed.
- Click the Update Extras button to save your changes.
Activate Turbo Mode
As I was reading a tip about secure blogging on a non-secure Internet connection, I came upon Turbo Mode. When you write a post, your browser downloads files to enable that process, which takes a bit. Turbo can speed that up. Turbo uses Google Gears to save some files to your station so that you don’t have to download files every time you write a post. This is a one time process, unless you have more than one computer that you use to post to your blog. You will have to follow these same steps on each of your computers. Do not activate Turbo on a public/lab station. If you have more than one blog, you will have to repeat the process for each blog.
- Click the Turbo button in the gray toolbar at the top of your dashboard.
- When prompted to install an extension to your browser, click the Install button.
- Click the Install Gears button.
- Click the Agree and Download button.
- Click the Save File in the Opening GearsSetup.exe box
- Navigate to the downloaded GearSetup.exe file and double click it to install.
- Click the Run button.
- You will be asked to restart your browsers when the installation is complete.
- Start your browser and access the dashboard for your blog. Click the Turbo link again.
- Click the Enable Gears button.
- Check the box for “I trust this site. Allow it to use Gears.”
- Click the Allow button.
- Wait as the files are downloaded to your station.
- When the process is complete, click the Close button.